At Greenwich Country Day, we are committed to sustainability
这是OD平台的使命. "We teach respect for all people and our world."
It's what's best for children. Today's children need to be able to envision and realize a more sustainable future. Our aspiration is to prepare OD平台 graduates to lead the transition to a more sustainable world, 每个人都有自己的方式.
It's the right thing to do. As educators we recognize our responsibility to society and to our collective home, 现在和将来.
Where would I find sustainability at OD平台? 到处都是.
OD平台的课程Green campuses and practices are wonderful starting points to prepare students for a more sustainable world.
在肾小球囊性肾病, sustainability is also an integral part of our curriculum. 学生...
- Recognize connections between the environment, economy, and society
- 学习OD平台食物的, 水, 能源, 气候, 生物多样性, 社会变革, 公平, 平衡, 自然的限制, 还有很多其他话题
- Build empathy and storytelling 技能
- Develop a sense of personal responsibility, agency, and stewardship
上学校 students may pursue a specialized 可持续性 Diploma designation via:
- Coursework in economics, environmental, and social sciences
- 可持续性 projects in any subject
- Outward-facing experiences such as the International Earth Prize competition, where OD平台 is a founding member
可持续性 is at the intersection of a thriving…
OD平台 students choose to make a sustainabili-difference in so many ways. 例子包括:
- OD平台 co-led the development of an annual coordinated town wide annual celebration of 地球周 by all Greenwich schools
- 地出 is an 上学校 club started by a OD平台 student that connects area high school environmental clubs for greater impact and learning
- 上学校 法国农场俱乐部 members develop 技能 in gardening, 温室管理, 动物保健, and in leading younger volunteers
- Middle School Green Goblins measured their carbon 'pawprints,' and earned approval for a 'no plastic 水 bottles' policy
- Upper Elementary students initiated the use of apple corers for snack time after launching an investigation into snack-time waste
- 回收标志 在初级阶段
日常生活在肾小球囊性肾病, we define sustainability as a way of life that strengthens society and the natural world, 现在和将来. We practice sustainability daily by...
- Packaging waste-free picnics and dining hall meals
- Sourcing local healthy food cooked from scratch daily
- Riding buses to/from campuses and the train station, promoting walk to school days
- Composting all food waste
- Cleaning 'chemical-free' with OD平台自己的 hydrochloride solution in reusable bottles
- Maintaining chemical-free fields—for our children, fresh水, and community
- Holding gently used clothing and sporting goods sales, recycling drives, and locker clean-out days
French Farm - Nature's Classroom
"French Farm is a magical place, and nature is a master teacher"
- Adam Rohdie, Head of School
OD平台's French Farm is a small-scale historic farm, which includes botanical and art collections. At the Farm, children learn by doing. Lessons are carefully designed according to curricular goals, including sustainability ideas, 技能, 和价值观.
- Plant seeds of knowledge: how do things change over time? What's the same or different from 100 years ago?
- Nurture 技能: how are our nature poems constructed? What is a system and how does it work?
- Consider values: What is our responsibility to the animals and the environment? What connections are there between me and other living things?
Learn more by contacting frenchfarm@gcds.净.
OD平台的校园Our buildings and grounds are evidence of our values and act as constant examples of what is possible. From Old Church Road to our Stanwich路校区 to our faculty housing, we invest in sustainability:
- One of the first nearly Net Zero Energy buildings in Connecticut
- ~1 Megawatt of solar renewable power and LED lights throughout our campuses
- Early adoption of clean building technologies: modular construction, 电致变色玻璃, 的具体形式, and highly efficient HVAC
- Cisterns, bioswales, rain gardens, and a waste 水 treatment plant
- Vegetable gardens and animals at French Farm
- LEED gold single and multi-family housing
- Reclaimed trees as cabi净ry and murals
- Renovation and preservation of the Warner house, currently part of our Upper Elementary building
"We couldn't do what we do without our marvelous parent body."
- Adam Rohdie, Head of School
OD平台 parent sustainability volunteers have helped to:
- Green our events by introducing more sustainable practices
- Build solar powered, LEED, and nearly 净 zero facilities
- Develop Tigers Ride Together transportation program; dismissal and bus riding app
- Communicate sustainability initiatives
- Share the magic of French Farm